Same-sex marriage or immigration policy Discussion
Same-sex marriage or immigration policy Discussion
Create a 15–20-slide presentation or a 15–20-minute speech on either same-sex marriage or immigration policy.
Your task in this assessment is to choose one of two debates—same-sex marriage or immigration policy—and create a presentation that would be delivered at a symposium on a college campus. You will need to place the debate in historical context, which will involve researching the history of policy as it pertains to your chosen topic and the social movements that developed as a result—for example, the gay rights movement. You will also be asked to address potential questions audience members might ask in this kind of situation.
Your presentation should demonstrate your understanding of the debate you have chosen, as well as your ability to apply the sociological perspective to a complex and controversial social issue.
Focusing on either same-sex marriage or immigration policy, create a PowerPoint presentation or written speech for the hypothetical audience you are addressing, which addresses each of the items below. Include graphics with supporting data in the form of charts, tables, or graphs when appropriate, and include any other information that supports your message. Be sure to include extensive speaker’s notes to provide detailed descriptions of each of the topics covered in the presentation, if you create a PowerPoint presentation.
Complete the following:
• Provide an overview and description of the central issue you have chosen to address.
• Describe the evolution of the social movements that are a precursor for or have emerged as a result of your chosen issue.
• Include a time line with key events to provide historical context.
• Describe any milestones that have characterized the development of the social movement involving your issue.
• Briefly analyze the following for your selected topic:
• The evolution of federal legislation on the topic over the past 10 years.
• The current political landscape, including key political debates related to your central issue.
• Introduce the important political players in the national debate, and discuss how sociological theory can be used to understand why some players have more power than others in this debate.
• Discuss how the continued uncertainty in political and legal environments affects stakeholders who are seeking to expand their rights or challenge existing policies.
• Describe tactics used to further the cause. Same-sex marriage or immigration policy Discussion
• The symposium coordinator has sent you the questions below in anticipation of your visit. Draft answers for each, typing your answers in the Notes box below the Questions slide you have created, if you are doing a PowerPoint presentation. If you are writing a speech, include the questions and answers at the end. Support your answers with research and data from scholarly sources. Choose the set of questions that is appropriate for your chosen topic.
• “Ninety percent of illegal immigrants are on the public dole. Why are we giving welfare benefits to people who aren’t citizens?”
• “Mexicans are taking away our jobs. What is the best way to stop them?”
• Same-sex marriage:
• “I heard 75 percent of people are against gay marriage. Who are they?”
• “If we allow gays to marry, won’t it destroy our social fabric?”
• Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
• Length: If you chose to do a PowerPoint presentation, it should contain 15–20 slides. Slides should contain no more than a few bulleted points and/or a graphic. Rather than cramming slides with text, use the Notes box below each slide to explain and expand on your bulleted points in each slide. If a written speech is chosen, it should be 15–20 minutes long when read aloud appx 4-6 pages.
• Format: Include a title and reference slides or pages. Cite any sources used in current APA style and format.
• Sources: Cite at least six credible scholarly sources to support your presentation.
Framing an Issue From the Sociological Perspective Scoring Guide
Discuss how sociological theory can be used to understand disparities in political power. Analyzes how sociological theory can be used to understand disparities in political power and cites scholarly sources for support.
Describe the evolution of the social movements that have emerged as a result of a diversity issue. Analyzes the evolution of the social movements that have emerged as a result of a diversity issue and cites support from scholarly resources.
Address questions that reflect public perception using supporting data or research. Addresses questions that reflect public perception using supporting data or research and real-world examples in a persuasive way that illuminates facts surrounding the issues.
Analyze the evolution of antidiscrimination law to give context to current law or policy. Analyzes the evolution of antidiscrimination law to give context to current law or policy and cites scholarly resources for support.
Discuss tactics employed by activists to promote a cause. Analyzes the effectiveness of tactics employed by activists to promote a cause.
Write coherently to support a central idea in appropriate format and with few errors of grammar, usage, and mechanics. Writes coherently, using evidence to support a central idea in a consistently appropriate format with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics.