Please note: questions that require the textbook are not included in this response.
1. If 3-bromo-1-propanol is treated with NaOH, a compound of molecular formula C3H6O is formed. Suggest a structure for this product.
2. What product(s) would you expect to form when tetrahydrofuran is treated with excess hydroiodic acid (HI)?
3. Write a suitable mechanism for the cleavage of butyl isopropyl ether with HI at 100 degrees C to form exclusively isopropyl alcohol and 1-iodobutane. Explain why butyl alcohol and isopropyl iodide are not formed in the reaction.
4. There are only four lines in the aromatic region of the fully 1H decoupled 13C NMR spectrum of propyl p-tolyl ether (110-160 ppm), yet there are six aromatic carbon atoms. Explain.
5. Which is a stronger base; aniline or cyclohexylamine? Explain.
6. Phthalimide has a Ka indicated in your lab textbook on pg. 352 (#6.159). Write an equation for the reaction of phthalimide with potassium amide (a strong base) in N,N-dimethyl formamide (DMF) solvent. Name the product.
7. Predict which of the following species is the most acidic. Explain. (See question # 6.160, pg. 352 in your lab textbook.)
8. N-Phenylmaleimide, the product prepared in Experiment #24B, can act as a dienophile in the Diels-Alder reaction (see Experiments #14 and #15).
Draw the structure of the product that would be formed by the treatment of
N-phenylmaleimide with (a) 3-sulfolene under the conditions given in Experiment #14 and (b) furan.
10. What product would you expect to obtain from reaction of one equivalent of propanol with phthalic anhydride?
11. In the experiment, a point is made that the formation of the azo compound is a slow reaction, but that the rate is increased by raising the pH of the solution. Why is this necessary? In other words, how does the pH of the solution affect the reactivity of the N,N-dimethylaniline reagent.
12. In relation to the previous question (#11), diazonium salts couple with phenols in slightly alkaline solution. What effect does the pH of the solution have on the reactivity of the phenol?
13. What is the main structural feature of the azo dyes that causes them to be colored compounds?
14. Methyl Orange is an acid-base indicator. In dilute solution at pH greater than 4.4, it is yellow. (Consult your lab textbook, pg. 363, question # 6.172 for the structure of the compound.)
At pH = 3.2 the solution appears red. Draw a structure of the species that is formed at the lower pH of the acid proton adds to the azo nitrogen atom adjacent to the aromatic ring containing the -SO3 group. Why does the proton add to this particular nitrogen when two other nitrogen atoms are available in the molecule?
15. In the formation of diacetylferrocene, the product is always the one in which each ring is monoacetylated. Why is no diacetylferrocene produced in which both acetyl groups are on the same aromatic ring?
16. Ferrocene cannot be nitrated using the conventional HNO3-H2SO4 mixed acid conditions, even though nitration is an electrophilic aromatic substitution reaction. Explain.
18. Benzene is brominated in the presence of FeBr3 catalyst. (See your lab textbook, pg. 375, question # 6.181.) Suggest an appropriate mechanism for this reaction.
20. In the experiment, sodium bisulfite solution is added at the end in order to destroy the unreacted bromine. What reaction is occurring here? Is HSO3- acting as an oxidizing or reducing agent? Write a balanced equation as part of your answer.:
1. Write equations to show how nitronium ions might be formed using a mixture of nitric and sulfuric acids.
2. Which ring of phenyl benzoate would you expect to undergo nitration more readily? Explain. (Consult your lab textbook pg. 386, question # 6.188.)
3. Give a reasonable explanation of why nitration of 1,4-dichloro-benzene yields the mononitro derivative while N,N’-diacetyl-1,4-phenylenediamine forms the dinitro compound.
4. Explain why p-nitrophenol is a stronger acid than phenol itself. Would pmethoxyphenol be a stronger or weaker acid than phenol? Explain.
8. When 1-octene is treated with NBS, three monobromo straight-chain alkenes having molecular formula C9H17Br are isolated from the reaction mixture. Identify these compounds and give each a suitable name.
9. Benzyl bromide (C6H5CH2Br) can be prepared by treating toluene with NBS in the presence of a peroxide initiator. Suggest a suitable mechanism to account for this reaction.
10. The benzyl radical presented in your lab textbook on pg. 396, question #6.202, has unusual stability. Account for this fact by drawing appropriate resonance structures.
12. 2,3-Dimethyl-2,3-butanediol (pinacol), upon heating in aqueous acid, rearranges to form 3,3-dimethyl-2-butanone (pinacolone). Suggest a mechanism for this reaction.
13. What chemical tests might be used to distinguish between pentanal and 2-pentanone; between benzyl alcohol and diphenylmethanol?
14. Suggest a suitable mechanism for the reaction of 9-fluorenone with 2,4- dinitrophenylhydrazine to form the corresponding 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazone.
15. There are actually two isomeric 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazones of 2-pentanone. Draw the structures of these isomers.
16. 2-Pentanone, in reference to the previous question (#15) also forms a derivative on treatment with semicarbazide. (See your lab textbook, pg. 405, question # 6.213.) Note that semicarbazide has two -NH2 groups that might react with the carbonyl of the ketone to form semicarbazone.
Explain why it reacts as depicted in the lab textbook.
17. The haloform reaction using I2 and NaOH is referred to as the “iodoform” test for methyl ketones. The test also gives positive results for compounds containing the -CH(OH)CH3 group. This results from the oxidation of the alcohol to the methyl ketone in the first stage. Write a balanced equation for the conversion of C6H5CHOHCH3 to the methyl ketone in the presence
of I2 and NaOH. Identify which species is being oxidized and which is being reduced.
18. If you were carrying out an industrial scale synthesis in which one step involved a haloform reaction to convert a methyl ketone into the corresponding acid having one less carbon atom, would you use NaOH and Cl2, NaOH and Br2, or NaOH and I2 reagent? Give reasons for your choice.
19. Over the years the two isomers of azobenzene have been designated by various terms: cis-trans, syn-anti, and E-Z. Using each set of terms, assign them to the isomers of azobenzene.
20. Discuss what you would observe after elution and visualization of a TLC plate having made the following mistakes in carrying out the analysis.
a. The solvent level in the developing jar was higher than the original line on which the samples were spotted.
b. Too much sample was applied to the TLC plate. Solution Summary
These questions are answered in detail. The solution is detailed and well presented.To continue with the answer check on mycoursewriter.com/
Why Choose Us
Quality Homework Writing
Do you need to ace your test? We have qualified writers to assist you in writing 100% quality homework writing. Mycoursewriter offers students unique and personalized custom papers that help them in getting good grades. Our academic experts will assist you with your dissertation papers, thesis writing, research papers, term papers, and case study homework help. Our writers are experienced and have perfected the art of crafting the best essay writing papers regardless of your academic level. Order now and get our superb homework writing services.
Expert Academic Writers
A student needs professional assistance outside class time. Before hiring our writers, they undergo thorough tests and strict educational backgrounds. After passing a test, our writers undergo training to ensure they deliver expert professional papers to our customers. We ensure they meet the timely delivery of papers and follow our customers' provided instructions. Every writer is an ENL writer and is from the USA, Canada, UK, or Australia. Our experts approach papers effectively depending on their area of specialization.
Affordable Price Guarantees
Is the deal too good to be true? Mycoursewriter is the most affordable assignment help website on the market. We consider students' daily needs for academic help. Our paper costs are reasonably priced to approximately 90% of students around the globe. Our main aim is to ensure students achieve academic excellence, and we believe inconsiderable prices should not hinder students from getting quality homework writing help. In case of any dissatisfaction, we offer unlimited revisions and rewrites without extra charges.
Timely delivery of papers
Tight deadline? Is your paper due in the next few hours? Worry no more. Our writers are here for your rescue. Many college students find it hard to balance their social and academic life and get caught up with academic deadlines. Drafting your paper at the last minute does not allow you to conduct extensive research and craft the correct answers. We have expert writers ready to work on your assignment writing. Urgent writing services are the ultimate solutions you need. We guarantee you timely delivery of papers at your convenience and specified time delivery of the customer.
100% Original Tasks
The ultimate deal-breaker in achieving good grades is submitting imitative papers. Plagiarism is a breach of examination standards and has serious consequences. Students need to deliver papers written in their understanding by paraphrasing their research findings and relevant citations. Our expert's primary consideration is providing free plagiarized papers that meet the lecturers' requirements. Our editors will proofread your paper before delivery ad ensure your papers will not be substandard. We guarantee extreme originality, and in case of any customer concerns, we offer a plagiarism report.
All Round the clock Customer Support
Our website is user-friendly and super useful! Mycoursewriter is the most trusted online writing website always available to provide you with assignment writing services that you need. Our primary concern is meeting customer need specifications by our friendly customer support team that Is available all the time. Our website usability is self-learnable but in case of any problem, feel free to contact us directly through our website email: firstname.lastname@example.org. We have diligently satisfied thousands of students, and you can witness this on our sites' review page.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Advantages of Using Our Assignment writing Services
Mycoursewriter welcomes you for superb essay writing services. We are a legit site offering help with your most challenging homework writing assignments at affordable prices. Your essay paper will be assigned to a professional writer who will craft the paper from scratch according to your provided instructions.
Essay writing is a common assignment writing for most college students. It takes a lot of time to craft a complete perfect essay. Mycourserwiter offers the best essay writing and proofreading services for most college students. Your paper is assigned to an expert writer who does thorough research on fresh ideas and personalizes your essay paper according to your assignment writing guidelines. Our essays are entirely exceptional and undergo a strict procedure that includes papers free from plagiarism and thorough proofreading.
Admission and Business Papers
Writing an admission paper is not every student's desire, and this should not hinder any student from earning an admission. Writing a perfect personal statement to earn a position in a dream school or job can be stressful. Personal statements should display a high level of confidence and uniqueness. Admission essays require you to have a vast knowledge of the current happenings in the world and knowhow of the business world. We have qualified writers with skills who will write your admission paper through comprehensive research. All you have to do is provide us with little details about yourself, instructions and our writers will craft a perfect paper for you.
Editing and Proofreading
Mycoursewriter offers you assignment writing services free from grammatical and formatting mistakes. An error-free paper is significant in scoring the desired maximum grades. We have a team of editors who will go through your paper after our expert writers have delivered their fully crafted papers. Our writers will cover all the aspects of your paper instructions, such as fonts, spacing, and educational formats. Our team of editors will check through your paper to make sure it meets the formatting style provided in the paper instructions. Under no circumstances will a poorly formatted paper will be forwarded to you as our team of editors will ensure careful proofreading.
Assignment writing is part of a learning process, and one may not have the knowledge to answer all questions correctly. This should not be a stress to you as we have qualified essay writing experts to help you. Our qualified writers are holders of PhDs, Degrees, and Masters in different areas of study and can handle any papers regardless of the complexity. Multiple assignments may be challenging to finish on time. Our skilled professional writers are here to assist you in crafting all the correct answers for your assignment. Stop stressing about your homework writing and place an order with us, and our expert writers will provide you with the best assignment help.