Lab 8 – Oxidation-Reduction Activity Series
Chemistry 1105 Net-03
Purpose: The purpose of this lab is to observe and differentiate between chemical
reactions and to learn how to write balanced chemical equations for them.
1. Make sure you put on your gloves and goggles before you start.
2. First, take a test tube, the silver nitrate, the copper pieces, and the plastic
tweezers and set them aside.
3. Observe and record the initial appearance of the silver nitrate and the copper.
4. Then, using the plastic tweezers, add two pieces of copper into the test tube.
5. Next, add all the silver nitrate into the test tube and throw out the empty bottle.
6. Observe and record the reaction for up to a minute and then describe the
appearance of all solid, liquid, and gas in the test tube.
7. Let the reactions go on for another 30 minutes, then observe and record the
appearance of the all the solid, liquid, and gas.
8. Write the balanced chemical equation for the redox reaction on a sheet of paper,
including the oxidation numbers and total charge. Take a photo and upload it.
9. Figure out which one of the elements has been reduced and which one is the
spectator ion. Record your observations.
10. Figure out which element was the oxidizing agent and which was the reducing
agent in the experiment. Record your observations.
11. Clean up the materials used properly.
1. First, take the 24 well plate and place it on top of a paper with labels for the well
plate. Label wells A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, and C2.
2. Next, put a piece of copper in both well plate A1 and well plate A2.
3. Then, take the pipet with the lead (II) nitrate and cut off the tip of the pipette. Add
15 drops of the lead (II) nitrate to well A1.
4. Observe and record the chemical reaction in well A1 after a minute.
5. Let the reaction in well A1 continue for 30 more minutes.
6. Meanwhile, cut off the tip of the pipette containing the zinc nitrate. Add 15 drops
of zinc nitrate to well A2.
7. Observe and record the chemical reaction in well A2 after a minute.
8. Take the plastic tweezers to grab two pieces of lead and place it on a piece of
9. Then, take a nail filer and scrape the top of the lead to take off the rust.
10. Put the two pieces of lead, one in each, wells B1 and B2.
11. Dispose of the paper towel with the lead leftovers on it. Also, throw out the nail
12. Take your gloves off inside out and throw them away. Wash your hands with
soap and dry them with paper towels, throwing the paper towels out afterwards.
13. Put on a new pair of gloves.
14. Next, take the pipet with the copper (II) sulfate and cut off the tip. Add 15 drops
of the copper (II) sulfate to well B1. Observe and record the reaction after a
15. Then, add 15 drops of Zn(NO3)2 to well B2. Observe and record the reaction
after a minute.
16. Put one piece of mossy zinc in well C1 and one piece in well C2.
17. Add 15 drops of CuSO4 to well C1. Observe and record the reaction after a
18. Add 15 drops of Pb(NO)2 to well C2. Observe and record the reaction after a
19. After 30 minutes, observe and re-record all the reactions so far.
20. Fill in the data tables with the all observations.
21. Write balanced chemical equations for all the reactions that occurred, including
the oxidation numbers and the total charge. Take a picture and upload it.
22. Clean up the materials used properly.
Observation & Data:
Data Table 1: Redox Reaction of Copper and Silver Nitrate
The copper pieces are a bronzish color while the silver nitrate is
First, the copper turned white with bubbles and then black. Also,
it kind of fluffed up (like a pill when it dissolves). The liquid is
after 30 min
The pieces combined and turned crystallized. It turned a
combination of white, brown, and black in color. The liquid also
turned into a slight light blue green color.
Element that is
Element that is
Spectator Ion None
Oxidizing Agent Copper
Reducing Agent Silver
Data Table 2: Redox Reactions of Copper, Lead, and Zinc
The liquid is clear while
the copper is bronze in
There was no
The liquid is clear while
the copper is bronze in
There was no
There are a few
bubbles that form
around the lead, which
turns bronze in color.
The lead starts to
The lead is silver in
There was no
The zinc turned reddish
from the top.
The zinc was black
with a little bit of red
on the top.
The zinc turns black.
The zinc becomes
dark grey from the
Data Table 3: Potential Redox Reactions and Chemical Equations
Metal and Metallic Solution Reaction Occurred?
Cu + Pb(NO3)2 None
Cu + Zn(NO3)2 None
Pb + CuSO4 Pb2 (aq) + Cu(SO4)2- (aq) → PbSO4 (s)
Pb + Zn(NO3)2 None
Zn + CuSO4 Zn + CuSO4 → Cu + ZnSO4
Zn + Pb(NO3)2 Zn + Pb(NO3)2 → Pb + Zn(NO3)2
Photo 1: Chemical Equation for Redox of Copper and Silver Nitrate
Photo 2: Chemical Equations and Redox Numbers for Reactions
1. Define oxidation, reduction, and oxidation number. Describe how oxidation and
reduction affect the oxidation number of an element.
○ Oxidation is the process of being oxidized. Reduction is when a chemical,
during a reaction, gains electrons. The oxidation number is the number of
electrons that is either gained or lost by the element. The oxidation and
reduction affect the oxidation number of an element is that when an
element is oxidized or reduced, the reduction number will either increase
2. Define oxidizing agent, reducing agent, and spectator ion.
○ An oxidizing agent gains electrons and then reduces in the chemical
reaction that is going on. The reducing agent is when oxidation occurs
when an element loses electrons during a reaction. A spectator ion is both
a reactant and a product in a chemical reaction.
3. In the reaction of copper and silver nitrate, a new substance appeared in the test
tube. Describe the physical appearance of the substance and identify its
○ The new substance that appeared in the test tube during the reaction of
copper and silver nitrate was a silverish metallic looking substance. The
chemical formula for the substance would be Cu + 2AgNO3 = Cu(NO3)2 +
2 Ag. (This is if we assume the substance is silver or Ag.)
4. Given an activity series in which the most active metals are at the top of the list
and the least active metals are at the bottom of the list, would copper be listed
above silver or would silver be listed above copper? Support your answer with
data from Data Table 1.
○ Copper would be listed above silver. The copper reacted more than the
silver during the experiment. That is why during the experiment the copper
was the element that was oxidized was also the oxidizing agent, whereas,
the silver was the element that was reduced and was the reducing agent.
5. Solid copper sulfide and silver nitrate react to form copper (II) nitrate and solid
silver sulfide. Write a balanced chemical equation that describes the reaction.
Identify the oxidation number of each element in the reaction. (You do not need
to include the total contribution of charge.) Is this reaction a redox reaction or a
non-redox reaction? Explain your answer.
○ The chemical equation that describes the reaction is: CuS (s) + 2AgNO3
(aq) –> 2Ag2S (s) + Cu(NO3)2 (aq). The oxidation number of each
element, in order, are: (+2 -2), (+1 +5 -2), (+1 -2), and (+2 +5 -2). This is a
1. List each of the metals tested in Exercise 2. Indicate the oxidation number when
each element is pure and the oxidation number when each element is in a
○ Metals: Cu, Pb, and Zn. Oxidation # – Pure: 0, 0, and 0. Oxidation # –
Compound: +2, +2, and +2.
2. Which of the metals in Exercise 2 was the strongest oxidizing agent? Was there
an instance when this metal also acted as a reducing agent? Explain your
answer using data from Data Table 3.
○ The metal that was the strongest oxidizing agent was copper. I don’t think
copper is the reducing agent because it is more so the oxidizing agent
during the reactions.
3. Which of the metals in Exercise 2 was the strongest reducing agent? Was there
an instance when this metal also acted as an oxidizing agent? Explain your
answer using data from Data Table 3.
○ The strongest reducing agent was zinc. There weren’t any instances when
the metal also acted as an oxidizing agent. The oxidization was done
more by the copper.
4. How does ease of oxidation correlate with activity? Do highly active metals tend
to donate electrons or accept electrons from other metals?
○ The ease of oxidation correlates with the activity because the more active,
the easier it is to oxidize. The highly active metals tend to donate electrons
to other metals.
5. Create an activity series for copper, lead, and zinc. Place the most active metal
at the top of the list.
○ The most active metal at the top of the list would be Zn, the second would
be Pb, and the third Cu.
Conclusion: Overall, the experiment showed the difference in chemical reactions
depending on the activity level of the metal being used. Using elements like silver
nitrate, copper, zinc, lead, and more, one can see that the reaction and the reaction
time differs. On one hand, there wasn’t much of a difference when the copper reacted
with the lead (II) nitrate vs. when it reacted with zinc nitrate. Both times there was no
change. Whereas, when the lead reacted with the copper (II) sulfate vs. when it reacted
with the zinc nitrate, there was a difference. The lead reacted more with the copper (II)
sulfate then it did with the zinc nitrate. Like so, it was quite interesting to see the
difference in the reactions depending on which combination of elements and chemicals
are used.To continue with the answer check on mycoursewriter.com/
Why Choose Us
Quality Homework Writing
Do you need to ace your test? We have qualified writers to assist you in writing 100% quality homework writing. Mycoursewriter offers students unique and personalized custom papers that help them in getting good grades. Our academic experts will assist you with your dissertation papers, thesis writing, research papers, term papers, and case study homework help. Our writers are experienced and have perfected the art of crafting the best essay writing papers regardless of your academic level. Order now and get our superb homework writing services.
Expert Academic Writers
A student needs professional assistance outside class time. Before hiring our writers, they undergo thorough tests and strict educational backgrounds. After passing a test, our writers undergo training to ensure they deliver expert professional papers to our customers. We ensure they meet the timely delivery of papers and follow our customers' provided instructions. Every writer is an ENL writer and is from the USA, Canada, UK, or Australia. Our experts approach papers effectively depending on their area of specialization.
Affordable Price Guarantees
Is the deal too good to be true? Mycoursewriter is the most affordable assignment help website on the market. We consider students' daily needs for academic help. Our paper costs are reasonably priced to approximately 90% of students around the globe. Our main aim is to ensure students achieve academic excellence, and we believe inconsiderable prices should not hinder students from getting quality homework writing help. In case of any dissatisfaction, we offer unlimited revisions and rewrites without extra charges.
Timely delivery of papers
Tight deadline? Is your paper due in the next few hours? Worry no more. Our writers are here for your rescue. Many college students find it hard to balance their social and academic life and get caught up with academic deadlines. Drafting your paper at the last minute does not allow you to conduct extensive research and craft the correct answers. We have expert writers ready to work on your assignment writing. Urgent writing services are the ultimate solutions you need. We guarantee you timely delivery of papers at your convenience and specified time delivery of the customer.
100% Original Tasks
The ultimate deal-breaker in achieving good grades is submitting imitative papers. Plagiarism is a breach of examination standards and has serious consequences. Students need to deliver papers written in their understanding by paraphrasing their research findings and relevant citations. Our expert's primary consideration is providing free plagiarized papers that meet the lecturers' requirements. Our editors will proofread your paper before delivery ad ensure your papers will not be substandard. We guarantee extreme originality, and in case of any customer concerns, we offer a plagiarism report.
All Round the clock Customer Support
Our website is user-friendly and super useful! Mycoursewriter is the most trusted online writing website always available to provide you with assignment writing services that you need. Our primary concern is meeting customer need specifications by our friendly customer support team that Is available all the time. Our website usability is self-learnable but in case of any problem, feel free to contact us directly through our website email: email@example.com. We have diligently satisfied thousands of students, and you can witness this on our sites' review page.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Advantages of Using Our Assignment writing Services
Mycoursewriter welcomes you for superb essay writing services. We are a legit site offering help with your most challenging homework writing assignments at affordable prices. Your essay paper will be assigned to a professional writer who will craft the paper from scratch according to your provided instructions.
Essay writing is a common assignment writing for most college students. It takes a lot of time to craft a complete perfect essay. Mycourserwiter offers the best essay writing and proofreading services for most college students. Your paper is assigned to an expert writer who does thorough research on fresh ideas and personalizes your essay paper according to your assignment writing guidelines. Our essays are entirely exceptional and undergo a strict procedure that includes papers free from plagiarism and thorough proofreading.
Admission and Business Papers
Writing an admission paper is not every student's desire, and this should not hinder any student from earning an admission. Writing a perfect personal statement to earn a position in a dream school or job can be stressful. Personal statements should display a high level of confidence and uniqueness. Admission essays require you to have a vast knowledge of the current happenings in the world and knowhow of the business world. We have qualified writers with skills who will write your admission paper through comprehensive research. All you have to do is provide us with little details about yourself, instructions and our writers will craft a perfect paper for you.
Editing and Proofreading
Mycoursewriter offers you assignment writing services free from grammatical and formatting mistakes. An error-free paper is significant in scoring the desired maximum grades. We have a team of editors who will go through your paper after our expert writers have delivered their fully crafted papers. Our writers will cover all the aspects of your paper instructions, such as fonts, spacing, and educational formats. Our team of editors will check through your paper to make sure it meets the formatting style provided in the paper instructions. Under no circumstances will a poorly formatted paper will be forwarded to you as our team of editors will ensure careful proofreading.
Assignment writing is part of a learning process, and one may not have the knowledge to answer all questions correctly. This should not be a stress to you as we have qualified essay writing experts to help you. Our qualified writers are holders of PhDs, Degrees, and Masters in different areas of study and can handle any papers regardless of the complexity. Multiple assignments may be challenging to finish on time. Our skilled professional writers are here to assist you in crafting all the correct answers for your assignment. Stop stressing about your homework writing and place an order with us, and our expert writers will provide you with the best assignment help.