NURS 6640 Week 5: Psychotherapy With Trauma
NURS 6640: Psychotherapy With Individuals | Week 5
Disorders resulting from trauma are significantly different from other psychiatric mental health issues. Unlike disorders such as schizophrenia or major depressive disorder, trauma-related disorders do not occur randomly in the population. Instead, trauma is something that occurs as a result of the lived experience of a traumatic event. According to the National Center for PTSD, more than half of the population will experience trauma during their lifetime (National Center for PTSD, 2010). Although most people will recover from the trauma on their own, some require therapeutic interventions. While there are medications that can help individuals with trauma and posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), the foundation of treatment continues to be psychotherapy.
This week, as you explore psychotherapy with trauma, you assess clients presenting with posttraumatic stress disorder. You also examine therapies for treating these clients and consider potential outcomes. Finally, you develop diagnoses for clients receiving psychotherapy and consider legal and ethical implications of counseling these clients.
Discussion: Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (NURS 6640 Week 5: Psychotherapy With Trauma)
It is estimated that more than 6% of the U.S. population will experience posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in their lifetime (National Center for PTSD, 2010). This debilitating disorder often interferes with an individual’s ability to function in daily life. Common symptoms of anxiousness and depression frequently lead to substance abuse issues and even physical ailments. For this Discussion, as you examine the Thompson Family Case Study in this week’s Learning Resources, consider how you might assess and treat clients presenting with PTSD.
- Assess clients presenting with posttraumatic stress disorder
- Analyze therapeutic approaches for treating clients presenting with posttraumatic stress disorder
- Evaluate outcomes for clients with posttraumatic stress disorder
- Review this week’s Learning Resources and reflect on the insights they provide.
- View the media Academic Year in Residence: Thompson Family Case Study, and assess the client in the case study.
- For guidance on assessing the client, refer to pages 137–142 of the Wheeler text in this week’s Learning Resources.
Note: To complete this Discussion, you must assess the client, but you are not required to submit a formal Comprehensive Client Assessment.
Note: For this Discussion, you are required to complete your initial post before you will be able to view and respond to your colleagues’ postings. Begin by clicking on the “Post to Discussion Question” link and then select “Create Thread” to complete your initial post. Remember, once you click Submit, you cannot delete or edit your own posts, and cannot post anonymously. Please check your post carefully before clicking Submit!
By Day 3
Post on or before Day 3 an explanation of your observations of the client William in Thompson Family Case Study, including behaviors that align to the PTSD criteria in DSM-5. Then, explain therapeutic approaches you might use with this client, including psychotropic medications if appropriate. Finally, explain expected outcomes for the client based on these therapeutic approaches. Support your approach with evidence-based literature.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ responses.
By Day 6
Respond to at least two of your colleagues by providing one alternative therapeutic approach. Explain why you suggest this alternative and support your suggestion with evidence-based literature and/or your own experiences with clients.
Assignment 1: Practicum – Week 5 Journal Entry
- Develop diagnoses for clients receiving psychotherapy*
- Evaluate the efficacy of therapeutic approaches for clients*
- Analyze legal and ethical implications of counseling clients with psychiatric disorders*
* The Assignment related to this Learning Objective is introduced this week and submitted in Week 7.
Select a client whom you observed or counseled that suffers from a disorder related to trauma. Then, address the following in your Practicum Journal:
- Describe the client (without violating HIPAA regulations) and identify any pertinent history or medical information, including prescribed medications.
- Using the DSM-5, explain and justify your diagnosis for this client.
- Explain whether any of the therapeutic approaches in this week’s Learning Resources would be effective with this client. Include expected outcomes based on these therapeutic approaches. Support your approach with evidence-based literature.
- Explain any legal and/or ethical implications related to counseling this client.
By Day 7 of Week 7
Submit your Assignment.NURS 6640 Week 5: Psychotherapy With Trauma