NURS 6560 Week 2: Pre- and Post-Operative Care
NURS 6560 Week 2 Nursing Essay: Advanced Practice Care of Adults in Acute Care Settings II | Week 2
NURS 6560: Advanced Practice Care of Adults in Acute Care Settings II | Week 2
“A wide range of illnesses and injuries may require treatment that includes some type of surgical intervention. Surgery may be planned or unplanned, major or minor, invasive or noninvasive, and may involve any body part or system”Don't use plagiarized sources. Get Your Custom Essay onNURS 6560 Week 2 Nursing Essay
—Pamela Lynn (2008).
As this quotation suggests, advanced practice nurses must be able to provide pre- and post-operative care to patients with various illnesses and injuries. Consider a 17-year-old patient who is injured in a car accident. The patient has severe burns on her legs, and several toes on her right foot require amputation. Her injuries are affecting multiple body systems. As an advanced practice nurse, how might you stabilize and prepare this patient for surgery? What areas of care will be your focus as the patient recovers from surgery?
This week, you examine and discuss limitations and challenges of clinical practice. Then, as you explore the role of the advanced practice nurse in perioperative settings, you examine strategies for assessing, diagnosing, and treating patients in pre- and post-operative care.
Learning Objectives – NURS 6560 Week 2 Nursing Essay: Advanced Practice Care of Adults in Acute Care Settings II | Week 2
By the end of this week, students will:
- Analyze limitations and challenges of clinical practice
- Evaluate pre- and post-operative care patients
- Develop differential diagnoses for pre- and post-operative care patients
- Develop treatment plans for pre- and post-operative care patients
Discussion Part I: Limitations and Challenges
From providing ongoing assessments to monitoring for complications and facilitating recovery, advanced practice nurses who care for patients in perioperative environments experience a unique set of limitations and challenges. Reflecting on your experiences in this complex and critical environment will help you develop your professional competency and prepare you for your future role as an advanced practice nurse. In this week’s Discussion, you consider limitations and challenges of clinical practice in perioperative care settings.
- Reflect on this week’s clinical experiences.
- Consider one limitation or challenge you encountered.
- Think about how you overcame this limitation or challenge and how this might affect your future practice in pre- and post-operative care settings.
By Day 3
Post a description of at least one limitation or challenge you encountered during your clinical experience this week. Explain how you overcame this limitation or challenge and how this might affect your future practice.
Note: If you refer to a patient in your Discussions or Assignments, be sure to use a pseudonym or other false form of identification. This is to ensure the privacy and protection of the patient.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ responses.
By Day 6
Respond to two colleagues by sharing additional insights or alternative perspectives.
Assignment: Assessing, Diagnosing, and Treating Pre- and Post-Operative Care Patients
The perioperative period is critical for surgical patients. Whether patients require fluid and electrolyte management, pain management, or treatment for infections or surgical complications, advanced practice nurses must be able to provide safe and effective care. For this Assignment, as you examine this week’s i-Human patient case study, consider how you might evaluate and treat patients who require pre- and post-operative care.
- Review this week’s Learning Resources. Consider how to assess, diagnose, and treat patients in pre- and post-operative care.
- Review this week’s i-Human case study. Based on the patient information provided, think about the health history you would need to collect from the patient.
- Consider what physical exams and diagnostic tests would be appropriate to gather more information about the patient’s condition. Reflect on how the results would be used to make a diagnosis.
- Identify three to five possible conditions to consider in a differential diagnosis for the patient.
- Consider the patient’s diagnosis. Think about clinical guidelines that might support this diagnosis.
- Develop a treatment plan for each patient that includes health promotion and patient education strategies for pre- and post-operative care patients.
As you interact with this week’s i-Human patient, complete the assigned case study. As you interact with this week’s i-Human patients, complete the assigned case studies. For guidance on using i-Human, refer to the i-Human Patients Case Player Student Manual in the Week 2 Learning Resources. NURS 6560 Week 2 Nursing Essay: Advanced Practice Care of Adults in Acute Care Settings II | Week 2