Ethic paper nursing school
Ethic paper nursing school
Select an ethical issue or dilemma
There are many ethical issues related to healthcare environments. Some of the ethical issues that occur in healthcare today are issues related to informed consent, organ donation, end-of- life care, truth-telling, palliative care, narcotic abuse, cultural care, spiritual care, privacy, and pain management. There are more! Select an ethical issue that has occurred in your current work setting or one where you previously have worked.
Visit the APUS library. Conduct a literature search and find articles that pertain to the ethical issue/dilemma that you selected. Make sure your articles are scholarly and current. Sources must be within 3-5 years, of the current year, three years or less is preferred. Look for peer-reviewed articles/sources. You may also find additional references on the ANA website, or other professional websites. Six scholarly references are required.
- Six-seven pages in length, not including the title page and reference sheet.
- APA format
- Make the title page and reference sheet per APA format
- The running head and page numbers correctly formatted
- Double-spaced with 1-inch borders. Times New Roman Font 12 typeface is required.
- The paper needs to meet the standards of professional writing in nursing, including accurate grammar, spelling, punctuation, and syntax. It must be in APA format.
- There should be a minimum of six references. Three references must include the following:
- The American Nurses Association Code of Ethics for Nurses, 2015,
- The Kearney-Nunnery Advancing Your Career Textbook, and
- The Park, Integrated Ethical Decision-making Model, 2012 article attached to this assignment.
- Use headers in your paper per APA format ( See template for paper organization and headers)
Inclusions (see rubric for more details)
- An overview of ethical issue/dilemma that occur in the profession and what will be discussed in your paper
- Describe one ethical issue/dilemma that happened in your workplace. Describe the ethical principles, e.g., beneficence, nonmaleficence, veracity, autonomy, justice, privacy, confidentiality, and fidelity that were not upheld. Identify and explain the Provisions of the Code of Ethics for Nurses that were breached, providing rationale for it being an ethical issue.
- Use the ethical decision-making model in the attached article to analyze the issue. Work through each step of the ethical decision-making model in detail to analyze the issue.
- Analyze how the ethical issue affected the patients/families and healthcare workers. Include a description of the varying viewpoints based on values, beliefs, and culture about the issue, and how you view the issue. Relate your personal ethical lens to your view.
- Describe how you think the issue should have been, or should be handled? Provide rationale. Make recommendations of how this issue can best be addressed in the future.
Ethical Decision-making Model
The article entitled, “An Integrated Ethical Decision-making Model for Nurses” is attached below. Use the six steps of the model to analyze and guide your decision-making about the ethical issue that occurred in your workplace. Be sure to write about each step in your paper.
You must proofread your paper. But do not strictly rely on your computer’s spell-checker and grammar-checker; failure to do so indicates a lack of effort on your part and you can expect your grade to suffer accordingly. Papers with numerous misspelled words and grammatical mistakes will be penalized. Read over your paper – in silence and then aloud – before handing it in and make corrections as necessary. Often it is advantageous to have a friend proofread your paper for obvious errors. Handwritten corrections are preferable to uncorrected mistakes.
Use a standard 10 to 12 point (10 to 12 characters per inch) typeface. Smaller or compressed type and papers with small margins or single-spacing are hard to read. It is better to let your essay run over the recommended number of pages than to try to compress it into fewer pages.
Likewise, large type, large margins, large indentations, triple-spacing, increased leading (space between lines), increased kerning (space between letters), and any other such attempts at “padding” to increase the length of a paper are unacceptable, wasteful of trees, and will not fool your professor.
The paper must be neatly formatted, double-spaced with a one-inch margin on the top, bottom, and sides of each page. When submitting hard copy, be sure to use white paper and print out using dark ink. If it is hard to read your essay, it will also be hard to follow your argument.
ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CLASS
Discussion Questions (DQ)
Initial responses to the DQ should address all components of the questions asked, include a minimum of one scholarly source, and be at least 250 words.
Successful responses are substantive (i.e., add something new to the discussion, engage others in the discussion, well-developed idea) and include at least one scholarly source.
One or two sentence responses, simple statements of agreement or “good post,” and responses that are off-topic will not count as substantive. Substantive responses should be at least 150 words.
I encourage you to incorporate the readings from the week (as applicable) into your responses.
Your initial responses to the mandatory DQ do not count toward participation and are graded separately.
In addition to the DQ responses, you must post at least one reply to peers (or me) on three separate days, for a total of three replies.
Participation posts do not require a scholarly source/citation (unless you cite someone else’s work).
Part of your weekly participation includes viewing the weekly announcement and attesting to watching it in the comments. These announcements are made to ensure you understand everything that is due during the week.
APA Format and Writing Quality
Familiarize yourself with APA format and practice using it correctly. It is used for most writing assignments for your degree. Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for APA paper templates, citation examples, tips, etc. Points will be deducted for poor use of APA format or absence of APA format (if required).
Cite all sources of information! When in doubt, cite the source. Paraphrasing also requires a citation.
I highly recommend using the APA Publication Manual, 6th edition.
Use of Direct Quotes
I discourage overutilization of direct quotes in DQs and assignments at the Masters’ level and deduct points accordingly.
As Masters’ level students, it is important that you be able to critically analyze and interpret information from journal articles and other resources. Simply restating someone else’s words does not demonstrate an understanding of the content or critical analysis of the content.
It is best to paraphrase content and cite your source.
For assignments that need to be submitted to LopesWrite, please be sure you have received your report and Similarity Index (SI) percentage BEFORE you do a “final submit” to me.
Once you have received your report, please review it. This report will show you grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors that can easily be fixed. Take the extra few minutes to review instead of getting counted off for these mistakes.
Review your similarities. Did you forget to cite something? Did you not paraphrase well enough? Is your paper made up of someone else’s thoughts more than your own?
Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for tips on improving your paper and SI score.
The university’s policy on late assignments is 10% penalty PER DAY LATE. This also applies to late DQ replies.
Please communicate with me if you anticipate having to submit an assignment late. I am happy to be flexible, with advance notice. We may be able to work out an extension based on extenuating circumstances.
If you do not communicate with me before submitting an assignment late, the GCU late policy will be in effect.
I do not accept assignments that are two or more weeks late unless we have worked out an extension.
As per policy, no assignments are accepted after the last day of class. Any assignment submitted after midnight on the last day of class will not be accepted for grading. Ethic paper nursing school
Communication is so very important. There are multiple ways to communicate with me:
Questions to Instructor Forum: This is a great place to ask course content or assignment questions. If you have a question, there is a good chance one of your peers does as well. This is a public forum for the class.
Individual Forum: This is a private forum to ask me questions or send me messages. This will be checked at least once every 24 hours. Ethic paper nursing school