Critics of Utilization Essay Assignment Paper
Part 1(page 1)
Critics of utilization review frequently are concerned that many of those persons participating in a utilization review are in fact practicing medicine. Although UR is conducted prospectively, it is used to authorize or refuse proposed treatments, referrals, and even hospital admissions.
- Does UR constitute “practicing medicine” and if so should UR be limited to only those medical professionals licensed to practice medicine?
- Discuss who you think should head the utilization review program and justify your answer.
part 2(1 page )
Read the article titled, “Implementing electronic health records in hospitals: a systematic literature review”, and do the following:
- Write a substantive summary about the article.
- From what you understand, make recommendations on how this article can be improved.
part 3(1 page )
Research the “The Tuskegee syphilis experiment.”
- What have we learnt from this case?
- How does the “Helsinki Convention” safeguard us from a repetition of the Tuskegee experiment?