Community Assessment And Analysis DQ
Community Assessment And Analysis DQ
Select a community of interest in your region. Perform a physical assessment of the community.
1. Perform a direct assessment of a community of interest using the “Functional Health Patterns Community Assessment Guide.”
2. Interview a community health and public health provider regarding that person’s role and experiences within the community.
Interviews can take place in-person, by phone, or by Skype.
Develop interview questions to gather information about the role of the provider in the community and the health issues faced by the chosen community.
Complete the “Provider Interview Acknowledgement Form” prior to conducting the interview. Submit this document separately in its respective drop box.
Compile key findings from the interview, including the interview questions used, and submit these with the presentation.
Create a PowerPoint presentation of 15-20 slides (slide count does not include title and references slide) describing the chosen community interest.
Include the following in your presentation:
1. Description of community and community boundaries: the people and the geographic, geopolitical, financial, educational level; ethnic and phenomenological features of the community, as well as types of social interactions; common goals and interests; and barriers, and challenges, including any identified social determinates of health.
2. Summary of community assessment: (a) funding sources and (b) partnerships.
3. Summary of interview with community health/public health provider.
4. Identification of an issue that is lacking or an opportunity for health promotion.
5. A conclusion summarizing your key findings and a discussion of your impressions of the general health of the community.
While APA style, and thesis is required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA format ting guidelines.
Functional Health Patterns Community Assessment Guide
Functional Health Pattern (FHP) Template Directions:
This FHP template is to be used for organizing community assessment data in preparation for completion of the topic assignment. Address every bulleted statement in each section with data or rationale for deferral. You may also add additional bullet points if applicable to your community. Community Assessment And Analysis DQ
Predominant ethnic and cultural groups along with beliefs related to health.
Predominant spiritual beliefs in the community that may influence health.
Availability of spiritual resources within or near the community (churches/chapels, synagogues, chaplains, Bible studies, sacraments, self-help groups, support groups, etc.).
Do the community members value health promotion measures? What is the evidence that they do or do not (e.g., involvement in education, fundraising events, etc.)?
What does the community value? How is this evident?
On what do the community members spend their money? Are funds adequate?
Predominant health problems: Compare at least one health problem to a credible statistic (CDC, county, or state).
Immunization rates (age appropriate).
Appropriate death rates and causes, if applicable.
Prevention programs (dental, fire, fitness, safety, etc.): Does the community think these are sufficient?
Available health professionals, health resources within the community, and usage.
Common referrals to outside agencies.
Indicators of nutrient deficiencies.
Obesity rates or percentages: Compare to CDC statistics.
Affordability of food/available discounts or food programs and usage (e.g., WIC, food boxes, soup kitchens, meals-on-wheels, food stamps, senior discounts, employee discounts, etc.).
Availability of water (e.g., number and quality of drinking fountains).
Fast food and junk food accessibility (vending machines).
Provider Interview Acknowledgement Form
Student Name: __________________
Section & Faculty Name: _________________________________
Date of Interview: ________________
Provider Name :
(i.e. MS, RN, etc.)
I _______________________acknowledge that I was interviewed by _____________________on the
(Provider Name) (Student Name)
date listed above. The organization / agency does not endorse the university or the student however, the student learning experience is considered appropriate for educational purposes