BIAM 500 All Weeks Discussions DeVry
- Why did Nationwide need an enterprise-wide data warehouse?
- How did integrated data drive the business value?
- What forms of analytics are employed at Nationwide?
- With integrated data available in an enterprise data warehouse, what other applications could Nationwide potentially develop?
- Describe the problem that a large company, such as HP, might face in offering many product lines and options.
- Why is there a possible conflict between marketing and operations?
- Summarize your understanding of the models and the algorithms used in this case.
- What benefits did HP derive from implementation of these models?
Read the end-of-chapter application case “BBVA Seamlessly Monitors and Improves its Online Reputation” at the end of Chapter 7 in the textbook, and answer the following questions.
- How did BBVA use text mining?
- What were BBVA’s challenges, and how did BBVA overcome them with text mining and social media analysis?
- In what other areas do you think BBVA could use text mining?
Read the end-of-chapter application case “Smart Business Reporting Helps Healthcare Providers Deliver Better Care” at the end of Chapter 4 in the textbook, and answer the following questions.
- What is Premier, and what does it do?
- What were the main challenges for Premier to achieve its vision?
- What was the solution provided by IBM and other partners?
- What were the results and benefits from Premier’s adoption of the integrated system described in the case?
- How big is big data for Discovery Health?
- What big data sources did Discovery Health use for their analytic solutions?
- What were the main data/analytics challenges Discovery Health was facing?
- What were the main solutions they have produced?
- What were the initial results/benefits, and what additional benefits do you think Discovery Health may realize from big data analytics in the future?
- Why is beer flavor important to Coors’ profitability?
- What is the objective of the neural network used at Coors?
- Why were the results of Coors’ neural network initially poor, and what was done to improve the results?
- What benefits might Coors derive if this project is successful?
- What modifications would you make to improve the results of beer flavor prediction?
Post a one or two paragraph summary of the emerging trend in BI and analytics that you chose to write about for your Course Project paper, describing the most important or interesting things you have learned about it so far. Why did you choose this topic to write about? What is the most surprising thing you found during your research? How does your topic relate to other topics chosen by your classmates?