Assignment: Health Promotion And Disease Prevention
Assignment: Health Promotion And Disease Prevention
Create an educational program, event, or piece of literature (for example, a pamphlet) that incorporates best practices in health promotion and disease prevention for a diverse population. Then, explain how you developed your educational program, event, or piece of literature and address any barriers to disease prevention and health promotion for the population.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
· Competency 3: Nursing Research and Informatics – Incorporate evidence-based practice interventions (for example, information systems and patient care technologies) as appropriate for managing the acute and chronic care of patients, promoting health across the lifespan.
. Use valid, scholarly research resources relevant to the field of nursing to support information presented.
· Competency 5: Communication – Communicate effectively with all members of the health care team, including interdepartmental and interdisciplinary collaboration for quality outcomes.
. Write coherently to support a central idea in appropriate APA format, with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics as expected of a nursing professional.
· Competency 7: Health Promotion and Disease Prevention – Apply and incorporate a basic understanding of the concepts of health promotion and disease prevention as a means of improving health at the individual, population, and community level.
. Develop an educational program, event, or piece of literature to address health concerns of a diverse population.
. Explain how a specific educational approach to a health concern can overcome barriers to health promotion and disease prevention for a diverse population.
· Competency 8: Diversity – Incorporate a holistic, caring, culturally appropriate nursing approach that contributes to the wellness and the health of individuals, groups, and vulnerable populations.
. Describe barriers to health promotion and disease prevention for a diverse population.
From your own professional experiences, as well as your work in this program, you have come to recognize that the goal of community or public health nursing is to improve and maintain the health status of individuals and families; cultural, racial, and ethnic groups; and communities and populations.
Caring for a population involves identifying the factors that place at risk a population’s health, as well as developing specific interventions to address those factors. The roles of nurses in this regard include preventing illness and injury, teaching clients, promoting wellness, surveilling disease, shaping and formulating health care policy, collaborating and partnering with communities, advocating for clients, evaluating nursing care, and promoting positive client outcomes.
In addition, the use of evidence-based strategies and models facilitates the successful implementation of nursing interventions or health programs, along with the tools and methods to evaluate the effectiveness, efficiency, and appropriateness of nursing-care processes and outcomes.
Questions to consider
To deepen your understanding, you are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of the business community.
· What evidence-based strategies does your organization use to establish and maintain cultural competency?
· How do local health care decisions and practices impact global health and health care delivery?
To prepare for the first part of the assessment, complete the following:
1. Review the literature or use health assessments to determine health care needs of a diverse population in your community.
2. Explore things that could influence success, such as cultural attitudes toward alternative forms of healing, religious beliefs, or other individuals.
3. Examine the impact of current health promotion and wellness initiatives on health outcomes and health disparities.
4. Review the literature to identify best practices.
Once you have identified a diverse population, develop an educational program, event, or piece of literature that promotes wellness and disease prevention. If you choose an educational program or event, be sure you outline the basic content of the program or event, as well as how you would structure it. If you choose a piece of literature, be deliberate in the points you highlight. Be sure that your choice is appropriate for the population.
· For an educational program or event, prepare and submit an outline of the content and structure.
· For a brochure or pamphlet, prepare and submit the brochure or pamphlet using a simple Word document or a Microsoft Publisher document, if you have that software available.
Explain how you developed your educational program, event, or piece of literature and address any barriers to disease prevention and health promotion for the population.
Complete the following:
1. Explain why you chose the particular educational strategy. Why is it an effective strategy for the population?
2. Describe cultural barriers to disease prevention and health promotion in the population. This might include things such as CAM, language, religious beliefs, and so on.
3. Explain how your educational strategy can help overcome some of the barriers you described.
4. Support your work with valid scholarly resources.
Additional Requirements (Part II only)
· Format: Include a title page and reference page. Use APA format.
· References: Cite at least three current scholarly or professional resources.
· Font: Use double-spaced, 12-point, Times New Roman font.