Assignment: Calculating Probabilities

Assignment: Calculating Probabilities

Assignment: Calculating Probabilities

Permalink: 

Don't use plagiarized sources. Get Your Custom Essay on
Assignment: Calculating Probabilities
From $10/Page
Order Essay

1
(Use computer) Assume that X is a hypergeometric random variable with N = 46, S = 15, and n = 12. Calculate the following probabilities. (Round your answers to 4 decimal places.)
a. P(X = 9) ( )
b. P(X ≥ 2) ( )
c. P(X ≤ 4) ( )
2
India is the second most populous country in the world, with a population of over 1 billion people. Although the government has offered various incentives for population control, some argue that the birth rate, especially in rural India, is still too high to be sustainable. A demographer assumes the following probability distribution of the household size in India.
Household Size Probability
1 0.03
2 0.13
3 0.17
4 0.25
5 0.14
6 0.15
7 0.1
8 0.03
a. What is the probability that there are less than 5 members in a typical household in India? (Round your answer to 2 decimal places.)
Probability ( )
b. What is the probability that there are 5 or more members in a typical household in India? (Round your answer to 2 decimal places.)
Probability ( )
c. What is the probability that the number of members in a typical household in India is greater than 2 and less than 5 members? (Round your answer to 2 decimal places.)
Probability ( )
3
Professor Sanchez has been teaching Principles of Economics for over 25 years. He uses the following scale for grading.
Grade  Numerical Score Probability
A 4 0.120
B 3 0.290
C 2 0.420
D 1 0.115
F 0 0.055
Part (a) omitted
b. Convert the above probability distribution to a cumulative probability distribution. (Round your answers to 3 decimal places.)
Grade                   P(X ≤ x)
F ( )
D ( )
C ( )
B ( )
A ( )
c. What is the probability of earning at least a B in Professor Sanchez’s course? (Round your answer to 3 decimal places.)
Probability ( )
d. What is the probability of passing Professor Sanchez’s course? (Round your answer to 3 decimal places.)
Probability ( )
4
A professor has learned that nine students in her class of 38 will cheat on the exam. She decides to focus her attention on twelve randomly chosen students during the exam.
a. What is the probability that she finds at least one of the students cheating? (Round your intermediate calculations and final answers to 4 decimal places.)
Probability ( )
b. What is the probability that she finds at least one of the students cheating if she focuses on fourteen randomly chosen students? (Round your intermediate calculations and final answers to 4 decimal places.)
Probability ( )
5
(Use computer) A committee of 65 members consists of 50 men and 15 women. A subcommittee consisting of 13 randomly selected members will be formed.
a. What are the expected number of men and women in the subcommittee?
Expected
Number
Men ( )
Women ( )
b. What is the probability that at least six of the members in the subcommittee will be women? (Round your answer to 4 decimal places.)
Probability ( )
6
Assume that X is a binomial random variable with n = 27 and p = 0.85. Calculate the following probabilities. (Round your intermediate and final answers to 4 decimal places.)
a. P(X = 26) ( )
b. P(X = 25) ( )
c. P(X ≥ 25) ( )
7
Market observers are quite uncertain whether the stock market has bottomed out from the economic meltdown that began in 2008. In an interview on March 8, 2009, CNBC interviewed two prominent economists who offered differing views on whether the U.S. economy was getting stronger or weaker. An investor not wanting to miss out on possible investment opportunities considers investing $16,000 in the stock market. He believes that the probability is 0.25 that the market will improve, 0.39 that it will stay the same, and 0.36 that it will deteriorate. Further, if the economy improves, he expects his investment to grow to $25,000, but it can also go down to $13,000 if the economy deteriorates. If the economy stays the same, his investment will stay at $16,000.
a. What is the expected value of his investment?
Expected value $( )
b. What should the investor do if he is risk neutral?
Investor should/should not invest the $16,000.
c. Is the decision clear-cut if he is risk averse?
Yes
No
8
(Use computer) Assume that X is a Poisson random variable with μ = 20. Calculate the following probabilities. (Round your intermediate calculations and final answers to 4 decimal places.)
a. P(X ≤ 9) ( )
b. P(X = 11) ( )
c. P(X > 15) ( )
d. P(17 ≤ X ≤ 25) ( )
9
Investment advisors recommend risk reduction through international diversification. International investing allows you to take advantage of the potential for growth in foreign economies, particularly in emerging markets. Janice Wong is considering investment in either Europe or Asia. She has studied these markets and believes that both markets will be influenced by the U.S. economy, which has a 24% chance for being good, a 42% chance for being fair, and a 34% chance for being poor. Probability distributions of the returns for these markets are given in the accompanying table.
State of the Returns Returns
U.S. Economy in Europe in Asia
Good 23% 29%
Fair 7% 13%
Poor −4% −16%
a. Find the expected value and the standard deviation of returns in Europe and Asia. (Round your intermediate calculations to 4 decimal places and final answers to 2 decimal places.)
Europe  Asia
Expected value ( % ) ( % )
Standard deviation ( % ) ( % )
b. What will Janice pick as an investment if she is risk neutral?
Investment in Asia
Investment in Europe
10Assignment: Calculating Probabilities

 

Assignment: Calculating Probabilities

 

Calculate the price
Make an order in advance and get the best price
Pages (550 words)
$0.00
*Price with a welcome 20% discount applied.
Pro tip: If you want to save more money and pay the lowest price, you need to set a more extended deadline.
We know how difficult it is to be a student these days. That's why our prices are one of the most affordable on the market, and there are no hidden fees.

Instead, we offer bonuses, discounts, and free services to make your experience outstanding.
How it works
Receive a 100% original paper that will pass Turnitin from a top essay writing service
step 1
Upload your instructions
Fill out the order form and provide paper details. You can even attach screenshots or add additional instructions later. If something is not clear or missing, the writer will contact you for clarification.
Pro service tips
How to get the most out of your experience with My Course Writer
One writer throughout the entire course
If you like the writer, you can hire them again. Just copy & paste their ID on the order form ("Preferred Writer's ID" field). This way, your vocabulary will be uniform, and the writer will be aware of your needs.
The same paper from different writers
You can order essay or any other work from two different writers to choose the best one or give another version to a friend. This can be done through the add-on "Same paper from another writer."
Copy of sources used by the writer
Our college essay writers work with ScienceDirect and other databases. They can send you articles or materials used in PDF or through screenshots. Just tick the "Copy of sources" field on the order form.
Testimonials
See why 10k+ students have chosen us as their sole writing assistance provider
Check out the latest reviews and opinions submitted by real customers worldwide and make an informed decision.
Group Dynamics
Great job. I appreciate it.
Customer 452521, November 22nd, 2021
Microbiology
Appreciate all of your hard work! Thank you so much!!
Customer 452483, September 14th, 2021
Mathematics
Job WELL DONE! Thank You very much!!
Customer 452483, July 12th, 2021
Introduction to Sociology
Thank you very much for all of your hard work!
Customer 452483, October 15th, 2021
Mathematics
Thank you, great work!
Customer 452483, July 19th, 2021
English 101
Amazing thank you!
Customer 452615, August 1st, 2022
Other
I appreciate the help.
Customer 452567, March 18th, 2022
Communications
You're awesome! Thank you so much!
Customer 452483, July 27th, 2021
Nursing
Good job! Thank you.
Customer 452487, October 26th, 2021
Nursing
Excellent! Thank you.
Customer 452487, October 16th, 2021
Sociology
Perfect! Appreciate all of your help! Thank you so much!
Customer 452483, November 14th, 2021
English 101
na
Customer 452547, March 22nd, 2022
1159
Customer reviews in total
96%
Current satisfaction rate
2 pages
Average paper length
47%
Customers referred by a friend
OUR GIFT TO YOU
20% OFF your first order
Use a coupon 20OFF and enjoy expert help with any task at the most affordable price.
Claim my 20% OFF Order in Chat